Tuesday 7 April 2009

Paris versus Dublin

No, this isn't yet another reality television show bore fest starring the talentless miss Hilton but in fact a dilemma I am currently pondering. I am planning to go away for the weekend with my girlfriend of 3 years, I am currently weighing up the options as to where we should go for her 21st Birthday at the end of April. Wanting to make it special I intend to whisk her away for a weekend, but which is better Paris or Dublin (cue a Harry Hill Impression...)?

Dublin

The sparkle in the emerald isle, the capital of Ireland, the land of my heritage, where the Guinness flows like water! Dublin is a popular tourist destination for both lads holidays and romantic holidays alike, the bars are homely and freed from the shackles of chains that imprison the major cities in England.

I have visited many times a child and most recently on a rugby tour but have yet to sample the real culture of the city. Yes I have walked down Carlisle Bridge, drank in Temple bar and watched a game of the national sport Gaelic football, in Croke park. Yet I have never viewed it through a couples eyes. What does it have to offer as a romantic break? I love the musicians who frequent many of the cities bars and add their own unique style to every song but how does Whisky in the Jar compare to sipping vino in the Tuileries gardens in Paris?

I intend to see the Dublin within Dublin, the people who made it great, the buildings within the city that bare the brunt of history. My girlfriend being a journalism graduate and a fan of the written word I intend to focus on this, visiting the places that such great literacy minds visited such as Oscar Wilde, Yeats and Jonathan Swift to name but a few.

Of course we would be letting our hair down, dining in one of the cities many restaurants and then heading to Temple Bar to mingle with the 'friendliest people in Europe', enjoying the buzzing Ireland's nightlife, the city has such energy at night which may be due to 50% of the population being under 25, youth is defiantly on its side.

However the Irish capital faces stiff competition from its french counterpart, I am still yet to decide.

Paris

Type the words 'romantic' and 'break' into any search engine and Paris will no doubt be at the top of the list. The city and romance go hand in hand, but could this be a dissuading factor? is a trip to Paris with a significant other becoming a cliche? I feel that there could be too much pressure on the trip in which could make it a complete let down.

But before I totally dismiss the idea I will consult Mr.google and Mr.wikipedia to see what the city has to offer.

The city is full of small intricate passageways, tight roads designed to stop people invading the city. During times of revolution it was felt if you took Paris you took France so the streets were designed to be narrow to evade invading armies descending upon the cities. In total contrast to these tight and cosy streets, the streets of Dublin are wide and welcoming, opening their arms and welcoming like an old friend greeting you as you arrive.

Of course the city boasts many museums, cafes, restaurants, theatres and of course the tower! It is the polished article for any romantic getaway. However it jut doesn't feel right, Dublin just seems to be a much warmer more welcoming location.

So with the location settled all I need to do now is book the flights, hotel, book time off work, dig out my old Ireland footy top and learn to the play the spoons! All going well we should be jetting across the Irish sea at the end of this month :)

No comments:

Post a Comment